Reel Rock 16 Film Festival
Reel Rock 16 is coming to Caltech's campus on October 13, 2022! This event is co-hosted by the Caltech Alpine Club and LA chapter of the American Alpine Club, and is open to the public.
Let us know on Facebook that you're going!
What is Reel Rock?
Reel Rock is an internationally renowned, annual film festival featuring the world's best climbing films. Founded in 2005 by filmmakers Josh Lowell and Peter Mortimer, Reel Rock has grown into the premier global platform for award-winning climbing films that weave bold action, humor, heart, and soul into captivating human stories for a wide audience. Find out more about Reel Rock here.
- Pre-show reception at 6pm on Beckman Mall. Socialize with one another, meet our awesome local sponsors, and complete the sponsor passport activity to earn three free raffle tickets (see details under "Raffle"). Complimentary snacks and beverages will be provided. Be sure to come early – the beverages go fast!
- Main show at 7pm in Beckman Auditorium. The show will be ~2.5 hours, including a screening of the Reel Rock 16 films (see "Film lineup" below) and a 30 min intermission with a raffle drawing featuring some extra rad prize giveaways. Lots of ways to earn raffle tickets this year -- keep scrolling!
Film lineup (get hyped with official RR16 trailer!)
- BRIDGE BOYS | Pete Whittaker & Tom Randall. A horizontal big-wall adventure on the longest, most ridiculous crack climb ever attempted. (28 min)
- BAREFOOT CHARLES | Charles Albert. Meet the opera-singing, cave-dwelling Frenchman who climbs futuristic boulder problems sans chaussons. (28 min)
- BIG THINGS TO COME | Alex Johnson. An elite boulderer's struggle with a project propels her on a decade-long journey of self-discovery. (21 min)
- CUDDLE | Alex Honnold, Tommy Caldwell, & Adam Stack. A massive link-up of 17 alpine summits pushes a famed climbing duo to the brink - and into each others' arms. (33 min)
- $10/student, $20/non-student. Students with valid student ID may purchase up to two tickets at $10 each.
- Tickets can be purchased either (1) in-person at the Caltech ticket office or by calling them at 626-395-4652 from 10am-2pm (you may need to leave a message), (2) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, (3) at the Beckman Auditorium box office (outside the auditorium on the west side), or (4) online here (non-student rate only, with prices lowered slightly to account for online fees).
- We will try to have Alpine Club officers help expedite the pickup of pre-purchased tickets at the Box Office on Thursday.
- We have decided to not raise ticket prices on the event date.
- The purchase of a Reel Rock 16 ticket will include one free raffle ticket that can be picked up at the check-in table during the event reception.
- Sponsor passport activity: For the chance to earn 3 additional free raffle tickets, pick up a sponsor passport at the reception check-in and collect signatures at at least 4 of 9 sponsor tables.
- Additional raffle tickets may be purchased (packs of 3 for $5) during the reception and beginning of show intermission.
- Raffle prizes this year include a 4-hr guided trip by Stone Adventures, intro to climbing classes at Touchstone climbing gyms, a Patagonia Slope Runner Exploration pack, and lots more!
As of now, COVID-19 policies on Caltech's campus have relaxed. Masks are optional but encouraged in the auditorium, and I am told we will not need to check attendees for vaccination status. I will send an update if any of these policies change.
Who benefits from Reel Rock proceeds?
100% of net event proceeds go directly to the Caltech Alpine Club and LA chapter of the American Alpine Club. Caltech Alpine Club funding is used for a variety of purposes oriented around promoting safety and accessibility in the outdoors. These include organizing outdoor adventure trips for club members, hosting speakers, providing free outdoor gear and equipment for Caltech community use, subsidizing professional outdoor safety courses, and much more.